Dr. Ott has practiced neurosurgery for twenty five years in San Diego, joining Dr. Assam at the NMC following his residency at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston in 1976.
Prior to residency he attended Yale University and U.C. San Francisco School of Medicine.
He has been the Chief of the Divisions of Neurosurgery at Mercy Hospital and Scripps Memorial Hospital. He developed the Gamma Knife radiosurgery program at Scripps Hospital in 1994. Currently he is the Executive Director of the San Diego Gamma Knife Center and Chief of the Division of Neurosurgery at Mercy Hospital.
Areas of special interest: Minimally invasive forms of neurosurgery such as outpatient microlumbar discectomy and anterior cervical discectomy, Gamma Knife radiosurgery, image guided and frame-based stereotactic surgery, functional neurosurgery for Parkinson’s disease and endoscopic sympathectomy for hyperhydrosis as well as pituitary surgery.
Brain tumor surgery is a significant portion of the practice.
Kenneth Ott, M.D. F.A.C.S
B.S. in Biochemistry, Yale University, New Haven, CN 1962 1966
M.D. University of California Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 19661970
Externship in Neurology, Hospital for Nervous Diseases, Queen’s Square, London, England Summer 1969
Internship in Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital 19701971, Boston, MA
Junior Assistant Resident in Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital 1971
Junior Assistant Resident in Neurosurgery, Massachusetts General Hospital 1972 -1976
Boston City Hospital
Beth Israel Hospital
Boston Children’s Hospital
Peter Bent Brigham Hospital
Chief Resident in Neurological Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, 1976
Gamma Knife Radiosurgery Course 1994, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm
American Board of Neurological Surgery, 1980
HONORS and AWARDS
Regents Scholar, University of California 1967-70
Roche Award 1968
Alpha Omega Alpha 1969
Upjohn Achievement Award for Outstanding Academic Attainment 1970
Merck Award 1970
California Medical Association
San Diego County Medical Society
California Association of Neurosurgeons
San Diego Academy of Neurological Surgeons
Congress of Neurological Surgeons
American Assoc. of Neurological Surgeons
San Diego Surgical Society
Fellow American College of Surgeons
Western Neurosurgical Society
Assistant in Neurosurgery, Massachusetts General Hospital 1976
President, San Diego Academy of Neurological Surgeons 1980-82
Assistant Clinical Professor of Neurological Surgery, UC San Diego School of Medicine 1980-1992
Board of Directors, California Association of Neurological Surgeons 1981- 1982
Board of Directors, San Diego Foundation for Medical Care 1983
President, Yale Club of San Diego 1984-86
Chief Division Neurological Surgery, Mercy Medical Center, San Diego 1985
Chief Section Neurological Surgery, Scripps Memorial Hospital 1986 – 1993
President and CEO, Neurosurgical Medical Clinic, Inc. 1993 -1994
Board of Advisors, Pasadena Play House 1993
Executive Director, San Diego Gamma Knife Center 1994-present
Board of Directors, California Association of Neurological Surgeons 2004
Advisor Trigeminal Neuralgia Association
Advisor International Radiosurgery Association
Chief, Division of Neurological Surgery, Scripps Mercy Hospital 2003-2005
Web-Master Western Neurosurgical Society 2004 – present
California Association of Neurological Surgeons Board 2005-2007
Chief Division of Neurosurgery, Scripps Memorial Hospital 2005-2007
Vice-Chief of Surgery, Scripps Memorial Hospital 2006-2008
Chief of Surgery, Scripps Memorial Hospital 2008-2010
Scripps Memorial Hospital
Sharp Memorial Hospital
Scripps Encinitas Hospital
- Eldred E, Ott K: Effects on shivering-of cerebellar lesions and stimulation. Fed Proc 1964;23: 567.
- Ishikawa K., Ott K, Stuart DG, Eldred E: Receptor discharges during near sinusoidal stretch. Physiologist 1964;164: 7.
- Ishikawa K, Ott K, Stuart DG, Eldred E: Motorneuron responses to stimulation of thermoregulatory regions of the hypothalamus. Physiologist 1965;8: 200.
- Ott K H: A new method of Motorneuron excitability testing. Texas Rep Bio Med 27;1969: 929-930.
- Gassel MM, Ott K: Cutaneous proprioceptive reflexes in humans. Electroenceph Clin Neurophysiol 1969;27: 716-717.
- Gassel MM, Ott K :The relationship of the latencies of the monosynaptic reflex and the direct motor response-an electrophysiological aid in differential diagnosis. Neurol 20;1970: 396.
- Stuart DG,Ott K, Eldred E: Effects of cerebellar lesions and stimulation on the shivering tremor. Am J Physiol 1965;209: 1261 266.
- Stuart D, Ott, K, Ishikawa K, EIdred E: Muscle receptor responses to sinusoidaI stretch. Exp Neurol 1965;13: 82-95.
- Stuart DG, Ott K, Ishikawa K, EIdred E: The rhythm of shivering. i : general sensory contributions. Amer J Phys Med 1966;45: 61-74.
- Stuart DG, Ott K, Ishikawa K, EIdred E: The rhythm of shivering . ii passive proprioceptive contributions. Amer J Phys Med 1966;45: 75-90.
- Stuart DG, Ott K, Ishikawa, K, Eldred E: The rhythm of shivering. iii : central contributions. Amer J Phys Med 1966; 45: 90 104.
- Ishikawa K, Ott K, Porter RW, Stuart D: Low frequency depression of the h-wave in normal and spinal man. Exp Neurol 1966;15: 140-156.
- Eldred E, Ott K, Ishikawa K, Stuart DG: Proprioceptive contributions to the shivering tremor. Nobel Symposium I. Muscular Afferents and Motor Control. Ragnar Granit ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1966.
- Ott K, Gassel M M: Methods of tendon jerk reinforcement. The role of muscle activity in refIex excitabiIity. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiat 1969;32: 541-547.
- Gassel MM, Ott K, A novel and accelerated method of evaluating motorneuron excitability. Trans Amer Neurol Assoc 1969;94: 269-270.
- Gassel, MM, Ott K: Local sign and late effects on motorneuron excitability on cutaneous stimulation in man. Brain 1970;93: 95-106.
- Gassel MM, Ott K: Motorneuron excitability in man. A novel method of evaluation by modulation of tonic muscle activity. Electroenceph Clin Neurophysiol 1970;29: 190-195.
- GasseI MM, Ott K: Patterns of reflex excitability change after widespread cutaneous stimulation in man. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiat 1973;36: 282-287.
- Ott K, Kase CS, Ojemann R.G, Mohr JP: Cerebellar hemorrhage: diagnosis and treatment. A review of 56 cases. Arch Neurol 1974;31: 160-167.
- Ott K , Tarlov E, Crowell R, Papadakis N :Retained intracranial metallic foreign bodies: a report of two cases .J Neurosurg 1976;44: 80-83.
- Waltz TA, Dalessio DJ, Ott KH, Copeland C, Abbott G: Trigeminal cistern injections for facial pain. Headache 1985;25: 354-357
- Sinha, YN, Ott, K, Vanderlaam, WP Detection of multiple PRL- and GH- like protein in human pituitary by Western blot analysis. Amer J Med Sci 1987;30:15-25.
- Ott K: A comparison of craniotomy and gamma knife charges in a community-based gamma knife center. J Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 1996;66 (suppl 1): 357-364.
- Goetsch SJ, Hardy T, Hodgens D, Lizarraras A, Ott K, Scharfen C, Tung H. The
Open gamma knife center concept. J Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 1996;66 (suppl 1): 296-301.
- Chasan CB, Goetsch S, Ott K. Radiosurgery for pineal tumors. Is biospy indicated? J Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 1996;66 (suppl 1): 174-183.
- Ott K: Letter to the Editor. Surgery or Radiosurgery? J Neurosurg 1997;86:165-166.
- Ott K: An Algorithm for the determination of functional stereotactic targets. J Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 1998;71:29-35.